WHO ARE WE
The Bastrop County Veterans Honor Guard (BCVHG) is a group of veterans who provide military honors, to deceased Veterans in Bastrop and sometimes neighboring counties. Consisting of Veterans who have served honorably in the Armed Forces of the United States, the BCVHG is certified by the Department of Defense to provide full military honors for fallen veterans and their families. The BCVHG is also supported by an Auxiliary comprised of local citizens who wish to serve even though they are not veterans. The members and associates of the BCVHG are your neighbors and friends – our desire is to honor and pay tribute to comrades that have departed this life and entered the realm of the Almighty. We understand what it means to give freely of oneself to this country and will never forget those who rendered a portion of their lives to protect the freedoms of this great nation.
The BCVHG is a not-for-profit and tax-exempt organization under section 501(c)(19) of the Internal Revenue Code. Therefore, we rely solely on the generosity of the community to help fulfill our mission.
The mission of this organization shall be to honor and pay tribute to our fallen comrades by performing a full military honor service at graveside, the funeral home or the Church upon request of the deceased veteran’s family. These services are generally limited to Bastrop County but services may be rendered in other locations if determined appropriate by the Commander.
We are certified by the Department of Defense, to provide Full Military Honors for deceased veterans.
We meet the first (1st) Saturday of each month at 10:00 am at the Smithville, TX VFW.
• Membership shall be open to all veterans who have served honorably in the US Armed forces.
• Each member must be of honorable character so as to not bring reproach upon this Honor Guard Unit.
• Each member must complete, sign and return the application form acknowledging their agreement to the conditions for membership, to the by-laws, and the Honor Guard Oath.
• Each member must have time to contribute and compassion for the deceased veteran and the veteran’s family.
• Members shall be expected to maintain high standards of hygiene, dress and appearance. Members are expected to be well groomed. Beards or excessively long hair will not be permitted. All uniforms must be kept cleaned and pressed and in inspection condition at all times.
• If the member does not possess a uniform, arrangements may be made to obtain the necessary uniforms with assistance from the Honor Guard with a commitment to serve for at least two years.
• Any uniform items purchased by the honor guard will remain the property of the Bastrop County Veteran’s Honor Guard until the member’s two-year commitment is fulfilled.